Nine Truths about Eating Disorders
Are you confused about Eating Disorders and whom can suffer from them?
Eating Disorders & Disordered Eating include varying complexities such as psychological issues, nutritional imbalances and medical complications . There are many myths about Eating Disorder and those whom suffer.
Here are some of the truths:-
1. Many people with eating disorders look healthy, yet may be extremely ill.
2. Families are not to blame, and can be the patients’ and providers’ best allies in treatment.
3. An eating disorder diagnosis is a health crisis that disrupts personal and family functioning.
4. Eating disorders are not choices, but serious biologically influenced illnesses.
5. Eating disorders affect people of all genders, ages, races, ethnicities, body shapes and weights, sexual orientations, and socioeconomic statuses.
6. Eating disorders carry an increased risk for both suicide and medical complications.
7. Genes and environment play important roles in the development of eating disorders.
8. Genes alone do not predict who will develop eating disorders.
9. Full recovery from an eating disorder is possible. Early detection and intervention are important.